Sunday, November 22, 2009

Pumpkin Trifle

OK, I know, I suck. I forgot to take pictures as I was making it, and even once it was done. But, the nice thing about trifles is that they're easy, always look pretty, and are hard to mess up!

I wanted to make a pumpkin trifle for Ambrose's baptism today, being the season and all. I looked and looked and looked but the only versions I could find online called for gingerbread or gingersnap cookies, and I'm not really a gingerbread kinda girl. So, I decided to take all of the things I love about pumpkin pie and make that in to a trifle. Therefor, here it is, my very own recipe for a pumpkin trifle.


Ingredients

2 packages vanilla pudding - prepared as told on package
1 8 oz can pure pumpkin puree
cool whip or whipped cream (i used 2 containers of cool whip)
1/2 angel food cake (typical store bought size)
pumpkin pie spices
1 package graham crackers
1 cup toasted hazelnuts


To Prepare Ingredients

Prepare pudding as directed on the package
mix pumpkin in to pudding

break angel food cake up in to small pieces (about 1"-2") and sprinkle with pumpkin pie seasoning

Crush graham crackers to crumbs and hazelnuts to small pieces, toss together


Layers

I assembled the trifle in this order - but you can change it to whatever you'd like. I do suggest starting with the cake to build a base, the last layer being the cool whip, and then topping with crumbs and hazelnuts to garnish.

angel food cake
1/2 pumpkin/pudding mixture
1/2 cool whip or whipped cream
3/4 hazelnuts/graham cracker crumbs
1/2 pumpkin/pudding mixture
1/2 cool whip or whipped cream
1/4 sprinkle top with graham cracker crumbs and hazelnuts


No comments:

Post a Comment